You cannot risk your immigration status and your dream of becoming a U.S. Citizen by applying for citizenship blindly. To learn more about how New York U.S. Citizenship and Naturalization attorney Gokhan Yazici can help you with the U.S. citizenship and naturalization process, call (646) 657-8144 or Contact Us today. We are here to begin helping you immediately.


Becoming a U.S. Citizen

Naturalization is the process by which a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) becomes a U.S. citizen. There are many benefits as well as obligations of a U.S. citizenship.

  • You can vote in elections.
  • You can file a petition to legally bring your parents, married sons and daughters, spouse, brothers and sisters to become lawful permanent residents in the United States. Also your immediate family members may immigrate more quickly.
  • U.S. citizenship allows you the freedom to travel. You can travel anywhere you want for any period of time you wish. You can also live outside of the United States.
  • Once you become a U.S. citizen, you cannot be placed in removal (deportation) proceedings, unless you used fraud to gain citizenship or an earlier immigration benefit (i.e. green card).


Continuous Residence Requirement

You must meet one of the following continuous residence requirements:

  • Lived as a lawful permanent resident (green card status) for at least five years
  • Lived in the U.S. as a spouse of a U.S. citizen for at least three years
  • Lived in the U.S. for four years with asylum status
  • Have served in the U.S. military, are a legal resident, and lived in the U.S. for three years

Disruption of Continuous Residence

Traveling for an extended period of time, in a single trip, outside of the United States can disrupt your continuous residence. If you travel more than 6 months, but less than 1 year, it could likely disrupt the continuous residence. However, if you take a trip outside of the United States more than 1 year in a single trip will not only brake or disrupt your continuous residence, but you may also be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status. A trip outside of the U.S. less than 6 months will NOT disrupt the continuity of you residence.

If you intend to be outside of the United States for one year or more, you will need to obtain a reentry permit so that you are able to return to the United States. A reentry permit establishes that you did not intend to abandon your Lawful Permanent Resident status, and it allows you to apply for admission to the United States after traveling abroad for up to 2 years without having to obtain a returning resident visa.

Physical Presence Requirement

In addition to continuous residence requirement, you also have to meet physical presence requirement, along with few others. Physical presence is essentially refers the actual physical time you have spent in the United States. You must have been physically present in the country for at least half the number of days you are required to have resided continuously in the U.S.

30 months of physical presence within the five year period is required if you are applying under the common path to U.S. Citizenship and 18 months within the three year period if you are applying under the three year rule as a spouse of a U.S. Citizen.

In addition, you have to show that you have resided for at least three months before applying for naturalization in the USCIS district where you claim to have residency.


How to Apply for Naturalized Citizenship?

The process of becoming a U.S. Citizen is fairly straightforward. If you are eligible, you would proceed as follows:

  • Complete a naturalization application, Form N-400, acquire all necessary documents and submit it to Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS)
  • Get fingerprinted at the USCIS local office when it is requested.
    Appear for an interview with an immigration officer during which you will answer questions about your application; take a U.S. language and civics test, and be asked to swear allegiance to the U.S.
  • After you pass the naturalization tests you will receive a date for the citizenship ceremony during which you will again swear allegiance to the U.S. and be formally naturalized.


Attorney Gokhan Yazici at YAZICI LAW has successfully assisted countless permanent residents from all over the United States in obtaining their citizenship status. If you would like to make your dream of becoming a United States citizen a reality YAZICI LAW can help you obtain your dream.

If you have certain blemishes, including but not limited to, child support, back taxes, criminal charges, you certainly need to develop and follow specifically designed and well thought out course of action to successfully accomplish the naturalization process. If you have ever been arrested or charged with a crime, it is particularly important that you speak to an expert immigration attorney at YAZICI LAW. Depending on your record, filing for naturalization could trigger you being placed in deportation/removal proceedings.

We work zealously to ensure that you do not unknowingly risk being removed from the country while attempting to naturalize.

To learn more about how we can help you with the U.S. citizenship and naturalization process, call us at (646) 657-8144 or send us a message on our Contact Us page to schedule an appointment. Review of applicant prepared petitions and full naturalization eligibility reviews are provided at a discounted flat rate.